Benefits of the Neighbourhood Utility Service at UniverCity
The Neighbourhood Utility Service (NUS) provides numerous benefits to the community and its residents, including:
- Energy Efficiency and Reduced Carbon Footprint – the NUS decreases residents’ carbon footprint through greater energy efficiency and the eventual use of alternative energy sources that decrease the greenhouse gas emissions that lead to climate change.
- Reliability – community residents have reliable heat and hot water 7 days a week, 12 months of the year. Exposure to weather-related power outages is reduced compared to traditional electricity-based systems.
- Resilience – the system has the flexibility to add or change energy sources over time without having to modify residential building systems.
- Customer Service – customers of the utility have 24/7 direct access to dedicated maintenance and service teams, leading to a higher level of service.
- Simplicity – customers no longer have to manage complex building energy systems or set aside funding for future boiler system replacements.
- Price Stability and Cost Management – because the system will use alternative fuel sources, residents’ exposure to fluctuating gas and electricity prices is reduced. In addition, operations and maintenance costs are reduced because the need for each building to have its own boiler, hot water storage tank and other associated equipment is eliminated.
Learn about the future of the Neighbourhood Utility Service at UniverCity
- Competitive Rates – due diligence studies indicate that on a life cycle basis, customers’ energy costs are similar to current energy costs within the community.